There is this underlying animosity amongst the journalism
students and TV journalism students. Today, I think I figured out what it
is... they're douches. When I started at Goldsmiths the gossip around the various journalism courses was TV and (print) Journalism did not get along. I being the
open minded individual that I am ;) allowed this to go in one ear and out the
other. Well it’s six weeks in and I have to admit, those rumors aren’t too off.
Could it be that radio and television just get to have more
fun? I mean think about it... we’re the ones running around, going out getting
the stories, watching the action happen live good and bad. We are as they say
’in the trenches’ but Journalism. . . well so far I’ve noticed they sit in a
room all day long and talk about us while writing stories for a “news” website
dedicated to what is going on in the boroughs surrounding our university.
Now don’t get me wrong... journalistic writing is NOT easy
by any means. I continue to work to perfect my writing everyday but there are
those times when as a TV journalist you can’t help but want to take one of
those journalist out of their comfy little cubicle and away from their little
computer with all the knowledge they hold dear, throw bags upon bags of gear at
them then send them out into the freezing cold or the blistering heat while
saying “now go get the story and don’t come back until you have every piece of
it!” I don’t really think they would make it. If they didn’t drop dead from
carrying the weight of the equipment to and from the tube, when they returned
to find out they are the only one to edit their work, I think they would
understand TV journalist are not lazy nor do they have it easy by any means.
So, to my future journalist of all mediums I say this: in
the end the littlest things matter. Like not pissing off your cameraman or
getting the date of an announcement correct. Because one day you might have to
do my job, which lets be honest, is f’ing hard.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.